Skip to main content

Why Do People Cry At Weddings?

I often wonder why people cry at weddings, on weddings I've watched on TV or weddings I witnessed myself. Oftentimes it is the bride that is crying or the mother of the bride or the groom sometimes is the one that’s crying. There are even instances that the wedding guests are the ones doing it.


It is a mystery to me for no one cried at my wedding, it was a joyous event and everyone was happy. I have a sensitive nature being a Pisces and am really a crier if it’s a very sad story. I cried very hard when Dobby died while reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows; read it three times cried three times too. But I don’t cry even if I am very happy.


Asked people, friends and family why they think people cry at weddings and here is what I found out:

  • They are so happy
  • They cry because their child will leave them (sudden realization)
  • They are overwhelmed with strong emotions
  • They envy the love between the bride and groom
  • They feel self pity
  • They cry because of the life they are leaving behind
  • They may not want to be married? forced into?
  • They are so relieved to finally finding mr. or ms. right
  • Frustration of losing the bride or groom to another person
  • They are so happy because it's their dream wedding

Comments

Ria said…
awwww....i wrote a post about this once!

http://yapatoots.blogspot.com/2007/04/why-i-cry-at-weddings.html
joan_pinon said…
@ Ria
-- just saw your blog :D
- mine was inspired by the 2 wedding I just witnessed