Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Here are my FINAL LIST of Emerging Influential Blogs in 2007 :
An Apple a Day
I like it being informative on a variety of topics nde nakakauyam
Studies in Technoprenuership
I like the discussions on everything IT
Software and Web Development
This site really made me stay put. Its really informative specially on topic of software development and having additional income through your blogs
Stay at Home Mom
Her blog about family makes me happy and gives me food for thought as I am considering being a stay at home mom too.
Like everything about her blog most specially the recipes the she shares
Its about the journey of losing weight, I am interested for I am also in the same journey. It’s nice to know you are not alone.
The D Spot
I like the way she shares her experiences in raising children
Really make me happy for its all about FOOD!
The weblog of Paolo Mendoza
The litanies of a philosophical basard. What I like about his blog is that most of his interests are my interests too, the difference is he gives a different perspective on them that is why I keep reading.
A writer's blog by Yatot Chronicles
What I like about his blog is it reflects how proud he is of being PINOY, his blogs also have different flavors or topics that is really timely and interesting.
Monday, July 16, 2007
One of the my major preoccupation nowadays is redesigning my online business website MyLittleBaker, I have been surfing the Web for ideas, tips on how to maximize my website so I can maximize my profits this coming Christmas season. I sell chocolates and baked goodies and my peak season is Christmas and this year I intend to give it my all.
Here are some nice I ideas I learned while surfing:
- Increase inventory of top-selling Holiday items by as much as 1000 percent.
You already know your bestsellers based on the last few years' sales so it is safe to increase your stock of these items.
- Do E-mail advertising/marketing by October
It is a good practice especially if you have many contacts to send them e-mails about your business and your products just in time when they are already thinking about the Christmas gifts they want to give to their friends and family. You can even start earlier especially here in the Philippines where we usually start the Christmas season when the months end with “ber”. I’m not really an expert on this online marketing stuffs but I know it is really effective in bringing customers to your website and there are events that you can check out if you want to know more. Join the 1st Internet and Mobile Marketing Summit on August 9 and 10.
- Have Pre-Christmas promos or a short survey on your site by November.
If you want to get a feel of your customers’ thoughts on what they plan to buy this Holiday season try to engage them in answering short surveys with the promise to give discounts when they buy from you during the season. It can be in the form of a pay-per-click promotion.
- Reflect the Holiday theme on you website by November
Make your online visitors feel the Christmas Season through your site and would likely encourage them to buy what you are selling.
Sunday, July 15, 2007
I would like to share the Acronym PARENTS that he had given. He says that it can guide us in bringing up our children.
P – Presence
As parents we should not say “we don’t have time” for our children. He said we should give our children the “gift of our presence”
A – Accountability
We must be a more transparent and accountable parents. When we make promises to our children we should not break them for they trust us fully as the first person they trusts we are also teaching them how to trust other people
R – Reconciliation
Give them understanding on the level as children. When we get angry they may not understand why we are angry, try to explain why. And learn to say sorry to them after.
The four magic words of reconciliation
I Forgive You
I Love You In spite Of
I Thank You for Being a Child
E – Example
Set example for your children with thoughts and actions
N – Never, Never give up
Never give up as parents in spite of hardships
T – Trust in GOD. Trust in Self. Trust in others
S – Sharing ourselves to others
Father and Mother I Love You
Saturday, July 14, 2007
It’s been a month since my four year old son Lorenzo started attending Nursery at Immaculate Conception Cathedral School and our life as a family will never be the same again.
Immediately after Lorenzo started schooling my husband and I realized that our daily routines must be altered to adjust to Lorenzo’s school needs but what took me by surprised was that some of our beliefs or some of the way how we raise our son would also be reevaluated and changed.
I had this notion before that when Lorenzo goes to school his every need in relation to teaching him about reading and writing will be taken care of at school and I would just be at home marveling on the progress he is making. I WAS WRONG.
I realized that sending your child to school meant that the things he learned at school should also be reinforced and practiced at home. I realized that the amount of assignment a Nursery pupil can be overwhelming for both the pupil and parent.
Attending the Parent Orientation and PTA meeting help me a lot in knowing what I can expect for the whole year while Lorenzo’s attending school. It was also pointed out to us parents that educating our children is not the sole responsibility of the school but also of the parents as well. We were also given the school’s grading system; this was when I realized how strict the school in grading students.
- Giving your child a good education is not just in choosing a good school for your child but is also a partnership between the school, teachers and parents. Having a good relationship between the parents and the teacher will be beneficial for the child’s education
- A child needs structure in his life, give him routines to follow. My son is an only child and we had this belief that being a child meant giving his unlimited playing time, we want him to enjoy his childhood so we just let him play all day long with his toys but it proved to be a problem in school. He had a problem in staying put in his chair while they are having their lessons and easily gets bored and goes to the place in the classroom filled with toys. If I had known this will happen I would have organized our routine to include a time to play, rest, learn, eat and sleep.
- When he arrives from school let him tell you about his day in school. His pediatrician gave this advised. She says it is a good way of letting his review the things he learned in school and makes a routine to tell you everything that is happening to him so that when he grows older you as parents will not be worried that he is keeping secrets form you.
- Have a time and place for him to study at home. Last summer I redecorated his room to include a study area and I had set a study time for him an hour before his bedtime. I made his study corner conducive to learning to include a study lamp which he adores and every night without asking him to do so, we go to the table and review his books and do his assignments.
- Have a time to regularly meet his teacher and form a good relationship with her. I gave up a teaching load on Fridays just so I can visit my son’s teacher during Fridays. It’s not that I don’t trust her with my son but it is to ask her about the progress my son is making and to consult her on how I can help in improving my son education. As you know my son has a problem paying attention to class early on and their classes follow a strict schedule and if I don’t supplement his lessons at home my son will be left behind in class.
- My child’s education is important. I believe education is important to the success of an individual and as a parent it is the one lasting gift we can give our children. After a month I realized that my son comes first than any career I have, that education these days is so competitive and being there for him while he is studying is important. I promised myself that in the next few years I will find a way to be a stay at home mom and just find ways to earn by taking care of my home business and limiting my teaching load.
Monday, July 09, 2007
It did not even came to my mind to pursue a course on business in college because I fell in love with computers in high school but after graduating a degree in computer engineering and pursuing a career as a programmer, the business bug came again and came in the form of an IT consulting venture which did not succeed maybe because we were all young and having big money coming in, we were unprepared on how to handle it. The good thing that it did was make me aware that I can’t avoid going into business, that sooner or later I would have my own business.
By year 2000 I discovered chocolate molding and loved it! It was fun making those different designs, plus I save money on just making them then giving them as Christmas gifts to friends and co workers. I get this HIGH in making chocolates, the smell and of course the taste. Do you know all my students since 2000 gets a free taste of chocolates I make every semester? Little by little I started to sell chocolates without realizing that I had loyal customers that regularly orders.
Marketing my chocolates was hard for me, I usually only sell them to friends then the friend tries to sell them also to their friends and they ask me to provide brochures. Printing brochures proved to be a difficult and costly. I tried sending the brochure through e-mail but some are prevented by firewalls of my friends companies or sometimes the file is too large(due to the pictures) that my friends did not even bother to open them.
By 2006 I was finally convinced by friends to put up my own website(MyLittleBaker) where I can place my chocolate creations so I can sell them easily. And it Worked! The Internet enabled me to realize my dream of having a business. If it were not for the Internet maybe I would be stuck in just selling my chocolates to those who knows that I make them and what they look and taste like.
Having my own website opened up my world, I made new friends, got new ideas on what products to create, that I know my customers will like and made marketing my chocolates much easier and of course made my earnings more than double.
Share your own story. Know more about Internet Marketing. Submit an entry to the Boomerang Awards: the 1st Internet and Mobile Marketing Awards.