Skip to main content

The Filipina Superwoman

I took my sweet time in deciding on how I can fully describe a Filipina at her finest and make it an entry in the "Filipina Writing Project" . There are so many facets of a Filipina that I don’t even know where to begin, but then my son showed my just last night what he thinks about me.

I am his mommy, his teacher mommy, his doctor and a good playmate. In his eyes I play different roles in his life that is when I realize that being a Filipina we can consider ourselves a “superwoman”.

What is a Filipina?

Her own woman
A Filipina can play a lot of role but she is her own woman. She knows what she wants in life, secure in her person making her sexy, independent and exciting. She can also be aggressive in pursuing in her career goals and in doing so become successful in anything she puts her mind to.

A Wife and Mother
Being one of the most sought out life partners by Filipinos and foreigners alike. I got to talk to different men of different nationalities and I ask them why they prefer to have a Filipina wife. Their answer is that Filipinas are nurturers we take good care of our husbands and children. The family is the number one priority for the Filipina, we love our husbands with all our hearts and take good care not just our immediate family but our extended family as well. We even consider our close friends family. We even personally manage our homes, the laundry, house cleaning and cooking.

The Teacher
As a Filipina mother we are the first teachers of our children that is why we are called “ILAW ng TAHANAN” (light of the home). We teach our child their first words and we are the ones with them when they experience the “firsts” in their life – first trip to the barber, their first trip to the playground. We are the ones that hold their hands and assure them that it is okay to play with other kids or talk to a roomful of people. Even our OFWs play the role of a teacher to their wards. I even watched a TV/documentary saying that the future leaders of nations are being taken cared today by our fellow Filipinas.

The Doctor
I remember when I was a child that every time I got hurt my mama always kisses my wound to make it better. Even as a teenager pimples, cramps and even broken hearts are consulted to her. She is the first person we think of when we are hurt we trust her with our life. Today my son Lorenzo calls me “Mommy Doctor” whenever I clean his wound or even giving him a kiss on the knee when he falls down.

The Career Woman
One great thing about our country is that as Filipinas we have the freedom to pursue careers. Filipinas are known to excel in their field be it in public service or in the private sector not just here but also in other countries.

The Entrepreneur
Being a businesswoman is second nature to Filipinas. It is a natural for us to see opportunity to make a sale. At one point in our life we attempted to sell something to friends and neighbors. There are many stories about how a Filipina mother raised her family just by selling in the market.

These are just a few roles that a Filipina play. She is really a superwoman. Being able to juggle different roles at the same time is second nature to us; we are mothers, sisters, wives, career woman and teachers. Doing these roles with panache and grace we can face the world and say “We are a Filipina and we are proud of it!”.

Comments